Sunday, November 17, 2013

Banana Bread Oatmeal


There's nothing better on a cold morning than a nice warm bowl of oatmeal!  I've experimented with all kinds of additions to my oatmeal, and this is one of my favorites.  I call it "Banana Bread Oatmeal." 

Now I'm not gonna lie and say it tastes just like banana bread because it doesn't.  It's oatmeal!  But it is quite delicious and healthy.  And, just like banana bread, it's a great way to use up ripe bananas. 

You can adapt this recipe to make as much as you want.  Jake's not a big oatmeal fan, so I usually just make enough for one, but you can easily double, triple, or even quadruple it to feed the whole fam!

Here's what you need:



 
  • Oats: I like to use old fashioned oats.  I think they have a better texture and flavor, but you could also use instant.
  • Banana: The riper the better!  Like I said, a great way to use up those brown bananas.  Use one banana per serving of oatmeal that you're making.
  • Milk: I like to use almond milk for oatmeal...makes it nice and creamy.  But I've also used regular and soy milk, and they work well too.
  • Flaxseed: This isn't essential, but it's so good for you!  Flaxseed is high in omega-3's and fiber, and you can't even taste it in the oatmeal.  I definitely recommend adding it!
  • Cinnamon and Nutmeg
  • Sweetener of choice:  I used maple syrup today, but brown sugar and honey are also delicious!

Pour your milk into a small sauce pan, and bring to a boil.  Be careful to watch so it doesn't boil over.  I speak from experience.

While the milk is heating, assemble your other ingredients in a bowl.  (I just use the same bowl I'm going to eat it out of.  Less to wash!)

Start with your oats...


Then add your banana.  I chopped it up into small pieces, but if it's really ripe you can mash it up.


Add your flaxseed, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  I don't really measure the spices, but I use quite a bit of cinnamon and just a dash of nutmeg.  A little goes a long way with nutmeg.

 
When your milk starts to boil, stir in oatmeal ingredients and turn the burner down to low.
 
 

Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches desired consistency.  For old-fashioned oats, I cook about 5-6 minutes. 


If you want it thicker, you can always cook a little longer.  Or if it gets too thick, you can add a little extra milk.  Once it has reached your desired consistency, pour it into a bowl and sweeten to taste.


Easy, yummy, and healthy!  What more could you ask for? :)

Banana Bread Oatmeal

2/3 cup milk of choice (almond, soy, and regular all work well)
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 ripe banana, chopped or mashed
1 Tbs flaxseed
Cinnamon and Nutmeg to taste
Sweetener of choice (I recommend maple syrup, brown sugar, or honey)

Bring milk to over medium-high heat.  While milk is heating, combine all other ingredients except sweetener in a bowl.  When milk is boiling, stir in oatmeal ingredients and reduce heat to low.  Cook 5-6 minutes or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency.  Pour into bowl and sweeten to taste. 

~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment