Saturday, November 2, 2013

Contentment

I love the book of Philippians.  No matter how many times I read it, I never cease to be both encouraged and challenged by Paul's words to the church in Philippi. 

Recently I have been studying Philippians, and the other day, I came across a passage in chapter 4 that always amazes me.  In verses 11 through 13, Paul says, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (NIV) 

Contentment is something I really struggle with.  I have a wonderful life...a great husband, son, & family, a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, a good job, wonderful friends, a strong church family...I could go on and on!  But I still find things to complain about, and at times I really can't say that I am content.

What's really incredible about this passage is that Paul was writing these words from prison!  More than likely he was hungry, alone, cold, and mistreated.  Yet he was able to say that he was content!  If I can't be content in the wonderful life I have, I seriously doubt I would have been conent in those circumstances. 

So what was Paul's "secret" he refers to in this passage?  While I obviously can't sit down and ask Paul exactly what he was talking about, I think he shares several pieces of his secret throughout the book of Philippians:

Relying on God's strength

Immediately following the passage I quoted earlier, Paul writes, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:13, NIV)  The more I've thought about it, I really believe it's impossible for human beings to be completely content.  It's against our nature.  There's always going to be something to be unhappy about. 

That's where God comes in. 

 
In Matthew 19:26, Jesus tells us "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (NIV)  In Ephesians 1:19-20, Paul writes, "I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God's power for us who believe him.  This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms." (NLT) 

Wow!  As Christians, we have the same power that raised Jesus from the dead living in us!  I don't know about you, but I certainly don't take advantage of that power nearly as much as I should.  Instead of thinking about contentment as something I need to master on my own, I should start asking God every day to work through his Holy Spirit to make me more content.

Living as a citizen of heaven

In Philippians 1:27, Paul says "Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ." (NLT).  In Romans 12:2, he writes, "Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think." (NLT)  As Christians, we shouldn't want to be like the world.  We shouldn't want everything the world has or value what it values.  That is a huge struggle for me!  Without even meaning to, I'm constantly comparing myself and what I have to those around me and what they have.  A friend of mine shared this quote on Facebook awhile back, and I loved it:

 
When we moved into our first house a little over three years ago, it felt huge!  I remember thinking "We'll never be able to fill up these closets."  Ha!  Lately, I find myself going into other people's homes an thinking "I wish I had those granite countertops!" or "If only I had the money to hire a decorator."  Jake and I just recently had a conversation about eventally moving to a bigger home.  We both  agreed that our house is fine right now, but when we have another kid, we will need something with more space. 
 
Need?  Not so much...
 
In reality, our house is perfectly adequate for a family much bigger than ours!  As a matter of fact, we could live in it for the rest of our lives and still be much better off than the vast majority of the world.  
 
As much as I hate to admit it, I sometimes get caught up in the American ideals of "bigger and better" and "keeping up with the Jonses."  But comparing myself to those around me robs me of joy and contentment and distracts me from what I really should be focused on: living as a citizen of the Kingdom of God.
 

Having an attitude of gratitude

Throughout Philippians, Paul is constantly expressing his thankfulness and joy.  In chapter one, he says "Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.  Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy." (Phil. 1:3-4, NLT).  In chapter three, he says, "Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord." (Phil. 3:1, NLT).  Finally in chapter four, he instructs us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by payer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Phil. 4:6).
 
In the midst of imprisonment and persecution, Paul was rejoicing and thanking God.  No matter how bad things in life seem, we can always find something to be grateful for.  And I really think that when we focus on the many blessings God has given us, the problems in our lives seem much less significant.
 
With the start of November and the upcoming Thankgiving holiday, I think a lot of people are trying to be more mindful of their blessings.  I know I really want to take time this month to be thankful of all the good things in my life-both big and small.  My family, friends, and country...the changing leaves, the blue sky, and the cooler weather...the clean water I have to drink every day...the heat that keeps my house warm...and on and on and on.  This year I hope to make Thanksgiving a holiday that's not just about eating and getting together with family, but a time for true reflection and thankfulness. 
 
And not just Thanksgiving, but every day of the year.  When I really stop and think about all that I have, I really am a much more joyful and content person.

 
 
Well, I hope this post has encouraged and challenged you.  I know I have certainly stepped on my own toes! :)  Like I said, contentment is really something I constantly struggle with, and I am nowhere near where I would like to be in that area of my life.  But I hope and pray that through his transforming power, God will mold me into a more grateful, joyful, and content citizen of heaven. 
 

~Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment